Some people experience difficulty in communication and exhibiting the right types of behaviors. Today, we’ll discuss what is an autism spectrum disorder; its symptoms, causes, and treatment.
What is Autism Spectrum Disorder?
ASD (autism spectrum disorder) is a complex neurological condition that outlines the problems with behavior and communication. It comprises various types of skills and symptoms. For instance, ASD could be a small problem or a lifelong disability that requires full attention in the special facility.
People with ASD condition find it difficult to communicate and understand what other people are saying or feeling. It becomes difficult for them to share their views and express themselves through touch, facial expressions, words, and gestures.
People with ASD condition experience difficulty in learning things and their skill development is uneven. For instance, they have a problem with communication but are good at the memory, art, math, music, and other skills. It’s possible that they would perform well in problem-solving and analytical skills.
The diagnosis of ASD condition is more than ever before. Some people say that the reason statistical figures for Autistic children are is increasing because of the changes in the diagnostic criteria.
Symptoms of ASD
Children exhibit the symptoms of ASD before the age of three, and some of them exhibit signs by birth. Some of the main symptoms of autism are as follows;
- Difficulty in accepting the changes in the routine life
- Speaking in a robotic voice, flat, or sing-song
- Don’t want to cuddle and be held
- Find it difficult to speak and understand the tone of voice, facial expression, gesture, and speech
- Failing to look at things when others are pointing it out
- Not listening and looking at the other people
- Highly sensitive to the sights, smells, touches, and sounds that are ordinary to other people
- Doing things repetitively like flipping a lever, rocking back and forth, and saying the phrase or words over and over again
- Limited or heavy interest in certain topics
- Not making eye contact
Some kids with ASD conditions would also exhibit seizures and they won’t start until the adolescence age.
Types of Autism Spectrum Disorder
Some of the main types of ASD are as follows;
It’s a type where kids don’t experience any difficulty with language. In fact, they perform better in the intelligent tests, average or above average. But they have got a limited scope of interests and other social problems.
When people hear of autism, they think of autistic disorder. It outlines the problems with communication, social interaction, and playing with children younger than three years old.
Childhood Disintegrative Disorder
The typical childhood development remains stable for two years, and then the child starts losing some/most social skills and communication.
Pervasive Developmental Disorder
Doctors use the term atypical autism or PDD for this condition if the child is exhibiting autistic behavior like limited communication and social skill. But some of them don’t fall under its category.
Causes of Autism Spectrum Disorder
Researchers don’t know the exact cause of autism and why it happens. It occurs in parts of the brain that understand and deal with processing language and sensory inputs. However, it’s more common among boys than girls. It could impact anyone regardless of social status, ethnicity, or racial background. Some of the risk factors and causes of ASD are as follows;
- It is hereditary and runs in the family because some particular type of gene combination would amplify the risk.
- Some children with an elderly parent are vulnerable to developing ASD condition
- The exposure of pregnant ladies to anti-seizure medicines, alcohol, chemicals, and drugs would amplify the chances of making newborn children autistic.
- Other maternal metabolic conditions that could cause it are obesity or diabetes. Studies have shown a link between rubella and untreated phenylketonuria with autism condition
There is no proof that vaccination could cause this disorder.
Treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorder
There is no treatment plan that could cure the ASD or autism condition permanently. If the treatment starts in the early childhood development phase the children with this condition could make a great difference. However, if you’re observing the symptoms of autism in your child, then you should discuss it with the doctor as soon as possible.
It’s important to mention here that the treatment plan varies from person to person; one treatment that may have worked for one person wouldn’t work for the other person. Your healthcare provider would develop a treatment plan for you relevant to your conditions. The main two types of treatments are as follows;
- Certain types of medicines help a person deal with the symptoms of ASD like anxiety, hyperactivity, or attention problem
- Communication and behavioral therapy assist a person to organize and structure themselves. ABA (applied behavioral analysis) treatment plan focuses on discouraging the negative behaviors and promoting the positive behaviors.
- Occupational therapy would help a person to develop life skills like connecting with people, eating, and dressing.
- Sensory therapy assists a person to deal with the problems of sounds, sight, or touch.
Conclusion: What is Autism Spectrum Disorder? Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
After an in-depth study of what is an autism spectrum disorder; its symptoms, causes, and treatment; we have realized that ASD could badly impact a person’s life from the start. If you’re observing its symptoms in any of the children, then you should refer them to the doctor as soon as possible.
Ahsan is an accomplished researcher and has a deep insight in worldly life affairs. He goes Live 3 days a week on various social media platforms. Other than research writing, he’s a very interesting person.