HOCD (homosexual OCD) is a form of SOOCD (sexual orientation-obsessive-compulsive-disorder) where a person has anxiety and fear about one’s sexual orientation. HOCD doesn’t formally fall under the category of mental health conditions. Today, we’ll discuss what is homosexual OCD; its symptoms, causes, and treatment.
A person with HOCD condition would experience anxiety while having the attraction toward same-sex or not. HOCD is a form of SOOCD, and it means that homosexual people experience anxiety and fear about their sexual orientation.
What is Homosexual OCD?
Homosexual OCD is a type of OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder). OCD falls under the category of mental health condition that makes a person repeat certain types of behaviors, reoccurring images, and thoughts. However, a person with OCD would feel upset and distressed because of the compulsion of repetitive thoughts. You simply can’t stop them from reoccurring thoughts.
A person with SO-OCD condition would be unable to stop various types of behaviors and thoughts relevant to their sexuality. A heterosexual person under this condition would fear that they have an attraction toward the same sex.
It’s important to mention here that HOCD is not restricted to heterosexual people. Homosexual people could also have compulsive thoughts that make them fearful that they’re rejecting their heterosexuality. The whole situation of repetitive thoughts can be highly stressful because sexual orientation is an important element of a person’s identity.
People with HOCD condition feel that they’re living an inauthentic life and are highly cautious about losing their identity. It doesn’t mean that they hate people that have got different sexual orientation than theirs. A study conducted in 2015 showed that 11.9% of the people with OCD condition and seeking treatment also experience the symptoms of HOCD.
Symptoms of Homosexual OCD
Some of the main fearful symptoms that a person with SO-OCD would experience are as follows;
- Intrusive thoughts that are interfering with your performance and sexual activities
- Experiencing difficulty in performing sexually because of having a different sexual orientation
- Losing their identity
- Rejecting their sexual orientation
- Experiencing problems in the relationship is a clear sign that they have got different sexual orientation
- Others would perceive them as of a different sexual orientation person
- Have the different sexual orientation
Mental Compulsive Behavior
- Reassuring themselves that they have got their desired sexual identity and orientation
- Visualizing the scenario to whether they would like it or not
- Incapability to stop thinking about their most fearful sexual orientation that they hate, no matter how distressful it is
- Visualizing your previous sexual encounter in order to reaffirm their sexual orientation
- Overanalyzing things whether the person said or did something, and how others would perceive it as homosexual or heterosexual
Physical Compulsive Behavior
- Analyzing the physical reasons of different people (both same and opposite gender)
- Want reassurance from others
- Watching porno to check their sexual orientation whether they find it arousing or not
- Not engaging and talking about such activities that would portray their image as different from their sexual orientation
The person with HOCD and SO-OCD would analyze their body that how it reacts to the unwanted images and intrusive thoughts. According to a study by Mind UK, unwanted images and sexual compulsive thoughts would make a person check their genitals for signs of sexual arousal. Resultantly, the blood flow would cause sexual arousal. It makes them fearful that unwanted images and compulsive are causing arousal.
Causes of Homosexual OCD
HOCD can happen because of the following reasons;
A person is more likely to develop this condition if any of their close relatives and siblings are experiencing OCD. The probability of getting it would become higher if close relatives have developed this condition in early childhood.
There is a connection between childhood traumatic experiences and the development of OCD. A study by NIMH showed that the relationship would require more research investigation.
There is a connection between irregularities in some areas of the brain and OCD. However, the potential connection is not clear yet.
Treatment of Homosexual OCD
Your psychotherapist would help you to treat the symptoms of SO-OCD by prescribing therapy and antidepressant medicines. Some of the main types of therapeutic treatment for SOOCD are as follows;
- EX/PR (Exposure and Response Prevention)
- CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)
The focus of CBT is to change the behavior and thinking pattern of the person. CBT comprises discussing the stressful and upsetting thinking pattern with your therapist and working on a plan in order to deal with it in healthier ways.
EX/PR comprises exposing the person to the triggering factors of OCD under the supervision of the therapist. It helps them to make a decision and not respond to it.
Conclusion: What is Homosexual OCD? Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
After an in-depth study of what is homosexual OCD; its symptoms, causes, and treatment; we have realized that HOCD could badly mess up a person’s mind. If you’re experiencing compulsive thoughts repetitively, then you should consult with your therapist.
Ahsan is an accomplished researcher and has a deep insight in worldly life affairs. He goes Live 3 days a week on various social media platforms. Other than research writing, he’s a very interesting person.