Various cultures and religions practice spiritual meditation worldwide for various reasons like connecting with higher-self, awakening, clearing mind, relaxation, and relieving from stress and anxiety. Many research studies have found that meditation helps you to relax your mind and offers other health benefits. Today, we’ll discuss what is spiritual meditation; its characteristics, benefits, and how to practice it.
What is Spiritual Meditation?
Traditionally speaking, spiritual meditation means connecting with the higher-self and divine. Roundabout hundreds of traditions and practices are associated with it in one way or the other. However, some of the main examples of meditation in various religious traditions are as follows;
- Contemplative prayer in Christianity
- Trance states in Shamanism and Shamanic traditions
- Zazen meditation in Zen Buddhism
- Marananussati Bhavana in Theravada Buddhism
- Metta meditation or loving-kindness in Buddhism
- Kabbalistic practices in Judaism
- Remembering God or Sufi dikhr
- Mantra meditation and Hindu Japa mala
In simple words, we can say that spiritual meditation is a practice of performing meditation in order to connect with the higher self or higher power of the universe. A research study conducted in 2017 said that the focus of meditation is to comprehend the deeper meaning of spirituality and connecting with the higher self.
Spiritual meditation plays a significant role in relaxing your mind and reducing stress levels. The reason it’s a spiritual practice is that when you try to connect with something far bigger and majestic than your individual self. However, other experts say that spirituality means connecting with your own soul.
Characteristics of Spiritual Meditation
When we talk about spiritual meditation, then it’s highly personal, and its impact and experiences vary from person to person. According to a research study conducted in 2019, it gathered some of the traits of spiritual meditation and they’re as follows;
- Sense of awe
- Sense of transcendence
- Feelings of spiritual presence
- Seeing visions and hearing voices
- Losing or absorbing sense of separation
The abovementioned list shows the diversity and vastness of spiritual experiences. Many experts say that you shouldn’t force on yourself, whether you feel a connection with the higher-self or no connection at all.
If you’re performing S mediation, then you shouldn’t talk about the spiritual experiences with other people that are also practicing it. It would set limits on your expectations and goals while meditating. It’s because we all are beautiful and unique beings, and our spiritual experiences are different.
When people feel the connection with the higher self or activation of their higher consciousness, then they call it a spiritual awakening. Many life-changing experiences in our lives could trigger the spiritual awakening; it compels us to live a soulful life by making conscious choices in our daily routine life.
Many research studies are conducted on spiritual awakening, but there is no valid proof or scientific evidence to verify the spiritual awakening.
Benefits of Spiritual Meditation
Some of the main benefits of S meditation are as follows;
- Clear life goals, purpose, and objectives
- Self-acceptance, self-trust, and self-esteem
- A strong sense of belongingness
- Increasing creativity
- Decrease in stress level
- A strong sense of your soul level
- Having a strong sense of inner happiness that doesn’t rely on external circumstances
- Low reactivity
- Inner peace and stillness
- A balanced sense of being
The meditation practices would bring awareness and make you realize that you should carefully choose every moment of your life. It develops a strong connection with your mind and body. However, the goal of meditation is to perform intentional choices in your life. When you meditate regularly, then you listen to your body’s needs and live a mindful life.
The S meditation doesn’t work overnight; you have to do it constantly and have the strong dedication and commitment to grow.
Research studies conducted in 2018 and 2020 showed that the S meditation helps you to treat various conditions, and they’re as follows;
- Pain management
- Addiction and substance use disorders like a stimulant, methamphetamine, or opioid
A study conducted in 2019 said that the S meditation is very supportive for those kids that don’t have access to the mental/medical healthcare system. One of the main benefits of S mediation is to feel happy and confident. Most importantly, you feel joyful and confident over the fact that you’re living a life according to the plans of the universe.
The S meditation is very beneficial and fruitful for sleep. A study conducted in 2019 found that meditation and mind/body medication are very useful for cancer surviving patients facing sleep issues. However, sleep improves the quality of life that you live in terms of awareness, higher understanding, and low-stress level.
Meditation offers both health (better sleep) and spiritual benefits. It lowers their stress level so that they could sleep better at night. However, if you can’t sleep, then you should focus on breathing.
One of the effective sleep meditation techniques is to put your hands on your body, focus on breathing, and inhale/exhale the way you do in regular meditation. This therapy has a very calming and soothing impact on your body, and it helps you to sleep.
How to Practice Spiritual Meditation
Now, it’s time to discuss how to practice spiritual meditation. Alico and Nisha offers two interesting meditation techniques and they’re as follows;
Alico’s Spiritual Meditation
First of all, you should sit on the cushion or a pillow in order to be more comfortable, and then follow these steps;
- You should put your right hand over your heart, the left hand under your belling, and kindly shut your eyes
- Focus on your breathing, listen to how it sounds like, every inhale/exhale, and try to connect with it, and make your breathing flow at an easy and comfortable pace
- Think of light inside of you; focus on its brightness and color, try to feel its temperature, and imagine this is your light and it would direct you to find a greater power
- You should feel comfortable with that light, try to flow with it as it goes out of your body and into the clouds, and you should keep flowing with it into the skies and heaven
- Feel safe in the heavens and develop a connection there, look around and explore various things. You should spend some time there, and keep your mind open to whatever comes
- When you’re finally ready, and then let that light enter your body again, return to the present moment, and play with your toes and fingers
After the meditation practice, you should slowly open your eyes.
Nisha’s Spiritual Meditation
The roots of Nisha’s meditation are in Southeast Asia and South Africa. First of all, you should sit in a comfortable posture, don’t cross your ankles and wrists, and sit upright and don’t lean. You should remove and turn off all the distracting devices like smartphones, etc, and give yourself some time and follow these steps;
- Focus on the inhaling/exhaling rhythm of your breathing
- After connecting with your breathing; now, focus on your heartbeat, and try to connect with it. If your mind gets distracted, and then it’s okay; if your ego offers any feedback, be thankful and let it know that it can rest at this time
- You should let your mind awareness enter your heart space, and feel its presence. Evaluate its presence within your heart space, whether it’s welcoming, feeling any hurdles, or a joyful experience.
- After spending time in the heart space, you should put the focus of mental awareness on your heartbeat and breathing, and then return to the current moment in time and open your eyes
After the Nisha meditation, you should drink a lot of water.
Spiritual Meditation Time
There is no time restriction to perform meditation; you can do it at any time. However, there are particular times like morning and evening when your body/mind is calm and comfortable, and it could easily make the connection. If you feel comfortable at any other time, then you’re welcome to meditate at that time.
Every individual knows themselves better when they’re feeling good and calm, then you should practice it at that time.
Morning is the best time for meditation. You should consider putting down your thoughts on the paper whatever you like before starting the practice. Sometimes it could be few paragraphs and more length content the other time.
Before going to sleep, you can practice meditation. You should shut down all the distracting devices until getting up in the morning. After finishing the meditation, you should go back to sleep and avoid checking up your phone or notifications.
Conclusion: What is Spiritual Meditation? Benefits & How to do it
After an in-depth study of what is spiritual meditation; its characteristics, benefits, and how to practice spiritual meditation, we’ve realized that meditation is a very personal experience. If you want to perform meditation, then follow and practice the abovementioned techniques in order to develop a connection with the higher power.
Ahsan is an accomplished researcher and has a deep insight in worldly life affairs. He goes Live 3 days a week on various social media platforms. Other than research writing, he’s a very interesting person.